Year-End Special: Ed Sheeran - Year Of 2017

Hits 1 counted down their Top 45 songs of the year this past Saturday. Like every radio station at the end of every year, they count down their top 45 songs of the year based off of airplay. So I'm gonna go through their year end list and I'm going to show my opinions and thoughts on every song on this list. Every week, I usually do a Top 20 Review at the end of the post. But for this list, I actually wanted to do a Top 45 Review just to make sure what grade Hits 1 had on music with one of those following areas:

Crap (0 Points)
Bad (1 Point)
Mediocre (2 Points)
Decent (3 Points)
Good (4 Points)
Great (5 Points)

It's very similar to a Top 20 Review, but with 45 songs just to see how Hits 1 did with music this year. The total score will come out of 225, which I'm goint to convert so that the score could be out of 100. They will also be coordinated with a different color for each rank. There will be some minor changes that way every rank should be in a different color. So here's the color-coding code for this list:

Red = Crap
Turquoise = Bad
Yellow = Mediocre
Pink = Decent
Blue = Good
Green = Great

Purple and orange will also be on this rank for the best song and worst song on this list. Now, let's get to this year-end list. The parenthetical number for each song means that this song has reached it's peak. Not every song that peaked in the Top 10 are on this list, but every song that peaked in the Top 5 are on this list. Now, we're ready to get into this year-end list. But before we get to the year-end list, here are last year's Top 5 songs.

5. Twenty One Pilots - Ride
4. Flo Rida - My House
3. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling
2. DNCE - Cake By The Ocean
1. Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out

Now, here are the Top 45 Songs of 2017 according to Hits 1.

#45. Linkin Park - One More Light (#5) [5; Great]
As you see here, this song debuted the countdown the week after the death. That's one of the sad things that happened over the year. I think they decided to let this song debut the countdown because of the death the week before. Now, on to the song, it's so enjoyable to me. We get to hear Chester Bennington's singing for the last and final time. I love the production, his vocals are awesome, and the chorus sounded awesome. This is definitely their best song that I've ever heard from them.

#44. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming (#10) [5; Great]
We finally have a song on my Top 10 songs of the year on this list. This song was my #9 song of 2017. As what I said in my Top 10 songs post, this is the best song that I've ever heard from this collaboration. This song is definitely better than Starboy. I love the production, the vocals are awesome, I love the chorus and I enjoyed Daft Punk's part in the last verse. This song is so amazing and I was very pleased to see it's peak in the Top 10.

#43. Panic! At The Disco - Death Of A Bachelor (#7) [5; Great]
I was actually surprised that this song has made this list. This song has reached it's peak last year, but didn't make this list. I could say that this one is better than Victorious and L.A. Devotee.
Now, on to my opinion on this song. The horns in the beginning of the song sounded great, I love Brendon Urie's vocals, and that chorus was awesome. This song was even in my Top 10 Songs from last year and I'm so glad that it made this list.

#42. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side To Side (#10) [5; Great]
Of course, I started to get sick of this song when it's still on the countdown. But then I grew back into this song. My opinion on this song is that Ariana's vocals are excellent, I love the chorus, and I enjoyed Nicki's part. This one is definitely better than Dangerous Woman and Into You. This is her best song that I've ever heard. This song is just excellent.

#41. Kesha - Praying (#5) [5; Great]
It's been years since we last heard from her. She is back this year. Now, for this song, it's an excellent song. It's just a step up from Tik Tok and We R Who We R. The piano sounded so amazing, her vocals are awesome and I love the chorus. I know that she has hit a lot of high notes in this song. Her high notes in this song were actually awesome. I was very pleased to see this song appear on this list.

#40. Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber - Despacito (#3) [5; Great]
This was actually the biggest song in America this year, with 16 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, even though it didn't hit #1 on this countdown. Now, on to the song, I love Justin Bieber's vocals,  Luis Fonsi's vocals are also great, the chorus was amazing, and I enjoyed Daddy Yankee's second verse. It did tied the record for most weeks at #1 that's originally held by Mariah Carey/Boyz II Men - One Sweet Day on the Hot 100. I know this song was #2 in America, but it's still the biggest song of the year.

#39. Maroon 5 - Cold (#3) [5; Great]
Hits 1 edited out Future's verse in this one, which is great. It's definitely because Hits 1 doesn't like rap music. Now, my opinion on this song is that Adam Levine's vocals sounded amazing, and that chorus sounded absolutely outstanding. This is definitely their best song that I've ever heard. It's definitely better than their other singles. What I've also noticed about this song is that it spent 1 week in the Top 5 peaking at #3 on this countdown. I was pleased that this song has made it on this list.

#38. AJR - Weak (#10) [3; Decent]
This song is definitely better than I'm Ready and I'm Not Famous. But I gotta say, my opinion on this one is that the lyrics are decent, the vocals are good, and the chorus is just decent. It sounds like some childish song. There really isn't anything interesting I should say about this one. I have no idea why this song has made this list.

#37. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (#6) [5; Great]
It's not as good as That's What I Like, but it's still great. For my opinion on this song is, I love the production and Bruno's vocals are so great. I was surprised that it made the list. It should have been a Top 5 hit on this countdown. I wasn't too pleased to see it not making the Top 5. It landed at #16 on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year, which I'm pleased to see. This song is so great.

#36. Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful (#4) [5; Great]
This song is her best of all time. It's definitely better than her other singles. I love the instrumentation, her vocals are amazing and the chorus is so awesome. It was also in my Top 10 songs of 2016. I've also noticed that this was a Top 30 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year. I was so pleased to see it on this list this year.

#35. P!nk - What About Us (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]
It's not as good as Just Like Fire or Beautiful Trauma, but it's still great. Now, my opinion on this song is that she has a cool voice, I love the production, the chorus sounded awesome, the verses in this one sounded great and the lyrical content is so great. I was so pleased to see this song hit #1 on this countdown. This song is just great. Nothing else I should say about this one.

#34. Adele - Water Under The Bridge (#5) [4; Good]
I'm going to say that this song isn't really a great song. The only part I like about this one is the chorus. That's all I'm going to say about this one. Everything else in this song is just good. The verses are good, the pre-chorus is good, but I do love her vocals. But this song isn't really her best single that I've ever heard from her. It's not as good as Hello or Send My Love (To Your New Lover), but it's just good. I'm okay with this song on this list.

#33. Jon Bellion - All Time Low (#5) [5; Great]
This song is so enjoyable to me. It's just a step up from Overwhelming. The production is so amazing, Jon's vocals were awesome, and I enjoyed the chorus. Because in the chorus, we have the repeating of the word "low". It's such an amazing song and I was so pleased that this song made this list. I can't think of anything else about this one.

#32. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello - Bad Things (#2) [5; Great]
This is an excellent song and by far his best song. It's better than At My Best. Now, my opinion on this song is that this song is so catchy. The intro on this one reminds me of Christmas Canon from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which was interesting. The production on this song is really amazing, Machine Gun Kelly crushed the first and second verse and I love Camila's vocals in the chorus and the last verse. I was so pleased that it made this list.

#31. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#6) [5; Great]
This is another song that's in my Top 10 Songs of the year that made this list. This song was #8 on my Top 10 songs of the year. As what I said in my top 10 songs post, this is the best song that I've ever heard from her. It's better than Million Reasons. I love the production, the vocals are awesome, the lyrical content is awesome, the chorus sounded awesome, everything in this song is awesome. It's such an amazing song.

#30. Imagine Dragons - Thunder (#1, 2 Weeks) [5; Great]
It's not as good as Whatever It Takes, but it's still a great song. I heard it a lot on Alt Nation. I feel like this song is rhythmic pop for the most part. I love Dan Reynold's vocals in this one, and the chorus sounded outstanding. It's better than Believer. I've also notice that this song was a Top 5 hit in America, which I'm very pleased to see, and I'm glad that this song made this list.

#29. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#5) [5; Great]
It's such an amazing song. I did get sick of it when it's still on the countdown. But then I grew back into it. Now, my opinion on this song is that it's so catchy. I love Chester's vocals in the first verse, and the chorus is so amazing. I do love when Kiiara takes over the second verse. Her vocals are so talented and the line "You say that I’m paranoid, but I'm pretty sure the world is out to get me” is what I fell in love with. It's not as good as One More Light, but it's still a great song.

#28. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (#1, 1 Week) [0; Crap]
I think I'm about to lose my mind. I HAD ENOUGH OF THIS SONG!!!!!! It's just a huge piece of trash. I don't like the production and I absolutely cannot stand the chorus in this one. She sounds pitchy and the background voices saying, "I'm not sorry!" sounded absolutely horrible. This is definitely the worst song that I've ever heard from her. I hope we don't get another song that is very similar to this one.

#27. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (#1, 4 Weeks) [5; Great]
It's a cool song. I was happy to see this song making this list. I know this song has flopped everywhere else, except for this countdown. Now, on to my opinion. I love his vocals, the chorus sounded great, and I love the instrumentation. It's not as good as Perfect, but it's definitely better than Shape Of You and Castle On The Hill. I can't think of anything else about this song. So let's move on.

#26. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens (#1, 1 Week/1 Week In 2016) [4; Good]
This song is just good. The vocals are great, the beat is decent, and the lyrical content is good, and the chorus is good. What I've noticed that last year, this song ranked higher than Closer. What I've also noticed is that last year, this song was #2 when Closer hits #1 (except for the week of 11/12/16 where this song was #4). It's not as good as Ride or Heavydirtysoul. Last year, this song was ranked at #21 on the year-end list. This really isn't a great song.

#25. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On (#5) [5; Great]
This song is a cool EDM song. After Louis Tomlinson's mother died due to illness, in which she battled leukemia, he decided to collaborate with EDM DJ, Steve Aoki to make a tribute single from his mother. Now, my opinion on this song is that Louis's vocals are great, The production is so awesome, the chorus is so amazing and I love Steve Aoki's drop. It's not as good as Back 2 U, which was on Hit Bound but failed to graduate on the countdown last year, but it's still a great song. I don't have anything else to say about this song.

#24. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road (#3) [3; Decent]
I'm already starting to get sick of this song. I know a lot of people who makes the weekend countdown blog doesn't like this song, except for me. But I gotta say, this song is decent because I'm starting to get sick of it. It's not as good as Take Your Time or House Party. This song landed at #8 on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year. Maybe it'll grow back into me when it leaves the countdown.

#23. Train - Play That Song (#10) [5; Great]
This comeback single from them is catchy. This is their best song that I've ever heard from them. It's even in my Top 10 Songs from last year. The vocals are amazing, the chorus sounds amazing, and I love the lyrics. This song is better than their other singles and I was so happy to see it making this list.

#22. Panic! At The Disco - L.A. Devotee (#7) [5; Great]
It's not as good as Death Of A Bachelor, but it's still great. I love the instrumentation and I love Brendon's vocals. I fell in love with the chorus. It's a very cool song to listen to. It's also enjoyable for me. That's all I'm going to say about this song. What I've also noticed about this song is that this song has reached the same peak as Death Of A Bachelor. That's what's so interesting about this song. I can't think of anything else about this one.

#21. Julia Michaels - Issues (#6) [4; Good]
It's kind of a slow song. It's definitely better than the extremely horrible Uh Huh. But I gotta say, this song really isn't a great song. I only like the chorus in this one. Her vocals aren't really that great. There's nothing else great about this one. The rest of the song is just good. It was #29 on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year, which I'm good with that. She has never had a great song before. Hopefully her next single is great.

#20. Zayn Malik/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#3) [5; Great]
This is by far Zayn's best song. Zayn has a cool voice in the first verse and I love his falsetto in the chorus. Then Taylor Swift takes over the second and last verse. I do love her vocals. It should've hit #1 on this countdown. This song was #26 on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year, which I'm great with that. Let's hope his next single is similar to this one.

#19. Charlie Puth - Attention (#1, 1 Week) [0; Crap]
This song is super duper old. I have no idea why it's still on the countdown. I tried to avoid being sick of this song. But then, I'm already sick of it. It's just a step up from One Call Away. But everything in this song is just extremely bad for now. However, this song is going to grow back into me when it leaves the countdown. Let's see if it leaves the countdown soon. 

#18. Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap (#2) [5; Great]
It's definitely their best song ever. This is another song that I heard a lot on Alt Nation. Every time the song comes on, it had me turning the volume way up because of the guy saying, "Turn it up!" in this song. And then I did what he said. It's such an awesome song. The best part of this song is definitely the chorus. Because it makes everyone want to clap because of the clapping sound in it. It should've hit #1 on this countdown because it was mighty popular.

#17. Niall Horan - This Town (#2) [4; Good]
I got sick of this song when it's still on the countdown. But then, it grew back on me a little bit. My opinion on this song is that this song is not as good as Too Much To Ask, but it's better than Slow Hands. Niall's vocals are good, and I enjoyed the chorus. Everything else in this song is good. However, this song is going to grow more on me soon.

#16. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#3) [4; Good]
I even got sick of this song when it's still on the countdown. It did grow into me a little bit. Now, on to the song, his vocals are good, the chorus is good, everything on this song is good. This song was #11 on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year, which of course I'm good with that. I think this song is going to grow more on me soon. Let's hope it does.

#15. Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#2) [5; Great]
It's definitely better than There's Nothing Holding Me Back. My opinion on this song is that his vocals are excellent and the chorus sounded great. It's not as good as Stitches or Treat You Better, but it's still a great song. That's all I'm going to say about this song. I have nothing else to say about this one.

#14. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]
It's not as good as Closer or Something Just Like This, but it's still a great song. My opinion is that I love Andrew's vocals and I do like Emily Warren's part. I love when they both sing together in the chorus. What I've also noticed about this song is that this song kinda reminds me of M83 - Midnight City. The main reason why this song reminds me of Midnight City is because I feel like they both sound alike. It's such a great song.

#13. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know (#1, 3 Weeks) [3; Decent]
I did get sick of this one when it's still on the countdown. I'm so glad that Hits 1 edited out Kendrick Lamar on this song. However, this song is just decent. It'll grow back on me later. Now, for my opinion on this song, Adam Levine's vocals are decent, the chorus is decent, everything else on this song is decent. But everything in this song is gonna grow back on me later. But for now, this song is just decent.

#12. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (#1, 2 Weeks) [3; Decent]
I'm already starting to get sick of this song. I was very pleased that Hits 1 edited out Quavo on this song. But I'm already starting to get sick of everything on this song. My opinion on this song is that Liam's vocals are okay, and the chorus is good. This needs to leave the countdown before I put this song in red. I hope this song leaves the countdown soon.

#11. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#4) [5; Great]
This is another song that's in my Top 10 Songs of the year. This song was #6 on my Top 10 Songs of the year. As what I said in my top 10 songs of the year post, this is definitely Kygo's best song. The production is outstanding, Selena's vocals are amazing, and oh my gosh I love that drop in the chorus. I hope we have another song by this EDM DJ that has the same drop and is very similar to this one.

#10. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]
This is even in my Top 10 Songs of the year, as it was my #4 pick. But I decided to put this song in purple because every song in my Top 3 songs of the year didn't make this list. This song is definitely his best song of all time. It's definitely better than his other singles. The production is outstanding, his voice is awesome, and that chorus sounded absolutely amazing. This song was #3 on Billboard's Hot 100 Songs of the year, which I'm pleased to see. This song is so amazing.

#9. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (#1, 3 Weeks) [2; Mediocre]
This song is just old. I'm already sick of this song. Everything on this song is mediocre for now. That's my opinion on this song for now. This song is getting very close to being in turquoise. It needs to leave the countdown before I put this song in red. Let's hope it leaves the countdown soon.

#8. Hailee Steinfeld/Grey/Zedd - Starving (#1, 1 Week/3 Weeks In 2016) [5; Great]
I did get sick of this song when it's still on this countdown. But then the song finally grew back into me. That song actually reminds me of The Cab - Bad mainly because of that one lyric that makes me think of the beginning of it and it actually sounds similar to it. Now, on to the song, Hailee has a cool voice. The production is what I fell in love with. I do love Grey and Zedd's drop in the chorus. This song is not as good as Let Me Go, but it's still a great song.

#7. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#1, 3 Weeks) [1; Bad]
This song is super old. I can't believe it's still on the countdown. Come on, this song needs to be off the voting list before I put this song in red. Everything in this song is bad for now. That's my opinion on this song for now. Voters, please don't vote for this song anymore. It's a super old song. Let's hope it leaves the countdown soon.

#6. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#1, 3 Weeks) [5; Great]
This song was my #7 pick of the year. But this time, Andrew Taggart did not take on some vocals because The Chainsmokers are a DJ, and DJ's are not allowed to take on some vocals when they feature someone. I love Chris Martin's vocals in this one. This is definitely their best song ever. And that drop in the chorus is very similar to Roses, which is a song that's in my Top 10 Songs of last year. I've also noticed that this song was #5 on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of the year. I was very pleased to see that.

#5. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (#1, 3 Weeks) [0; Crap]
HOW IS IT STILL ON THE COUNTDOWN?! This song is getting close to the 1-year anniversary on this countdown. This song seriously needs to leave. It's super duper old. Everything on this song is so bad for now. It needs to be off the voting list. I'm so done listening to this song. I hope it leaves the countdown soon.

#4. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holding Me Back (#1, 5 Weeks) [1; Bad]
This song is also a super old song. WHEN WILL IT BE OFF THE VOTING LIST???!!! I would guess extremely soon, because I'm done listening to this song. Everything on this song is just bad for now. This song needs to leave soon. However, I am going to grow back into this song when it leaves the countdown. Let's hope it leaves the countdown soon.

#3. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer (#1, 8 Weeks In 2016) [5; Great]
This is a fun song. Of course, The Chainsmokers are a DJ, but Andrew Taggart decided to take on some vocals for this song. He sang the first verse. And I love that drop in the chorus. I know a lot of you say that the drop in this song sounds like kazoos, which is interesting about this song. I love Halsey's vocals in the second verse. And I love the build-up that leads into the final drop. This was actually my #1 pick from last year. It's such an amazing song.

#2. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#1, 4 Weeks) [0; Crap]
It's still on the countdown. It's super duper old. I was hoping that this song needs to leave the countdown. I'm begging the voters to try and stop voting for this song. I'm extremely done listening to this song. This seriously needs to go. I'm so tired of listening to this song. Let's stop voting for this song.

1. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (#1, 9 Weeks) [1; Bad]
The longest tenured countdown song of the year and is Billboard's #1 song of the year. I can't believe it's still on the countdown. Ed has every song that hit #1 on this countdown this year. This year was his best year ever. But this song is super duper old. It's already in red, so I hope it leaves the countdown soon. It's getting close to lasting a year on the countdown. I don't want this song to last a year on the countdown. I'd like this song to leave right away. I hope this song is off the voting list soon.

And there you have it. Those were my opinions on every song on the year-end list. Now, I'm going to be doing my Top 45 Review. It's similar to a Top 20 Review that I do every week at the end of every countdown post, but with 45 songs. Now, I'm going to be ranking the entire countdown based off the six ranks.

My Top 45 Review:
0 - Crap:
45. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
44. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
43. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay
42. Charlie Puth - Attention

1 - Bad:
41. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
40. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holding Me Back
39. Imagine Dragons - Believer

2 - Mediocre:
38. Niall Horan - Slow Hands

3 - Decent:
37. AJR - Weak
36. Liam Payne - Strip That Down
35. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road
34. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know

4 - Good:
33. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go
32. Adele - Water Under The Bridge
31. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
30. Niall Horan - This Town
29. Julia Michaels - Issues

5 - Great:
28. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
27. Hailee Steinfeld/Grey/Zedd - Starving
26. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On
25. Shawn Mendes - Mercy
24. P!nk - What About Us
23. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
22. Panic! At The Disco -L.A. Devotee
21. Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber - Despacito
20. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side To Side
19. Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful
18. The Chainsmokers - Paris
17. Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
16. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello - Bad Things
15. Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap
14. Train - Play That Song
13. Panic! At The Disco - Death Of A Bachelor
12. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
11. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy
10. Jon Bellion - All Time Low
9. Linkin Park - One More Light
8. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer
7. Maroon 5 - Cold
6. Kesha - Praying
5. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming
4. Lady Gaga - The Cure
3. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This
2. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me

6 - Best Song On The Countdown:
1. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like

Total Score: 178/225 (79.1/100) = 79% (C+)

So that's all I have for this post! I hope you enjoyed this post. Overall, the Weekend Countdown this past year gets a 79.1%, which is okay. Let's hope 2018 is better. Thanks for reading my post! Hit me with your thoughts and any interesting facts that you have about this post!

Comments

  1. ATR... you’re spot on with your opinions! I agree with everything you say :) Keep up the good work in 2018!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly know what you are talking about and I agree with everything. Not an Ed Sheeran fan, so as #29 pick I cant agree with you more. Imagine Dragons as a solid #12 was a great call too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I know you agree with my thoughts and my opinions on every song on the year-end list.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiesto (2) Week Of April 1, 2023

Zedd (9) Week Of May 26, 2018

Fall Out Boy (3) Week Of June 3, 2023