Year-End Special: Harry Styles - Year Of 2020

So Hits 1 counted down their Top 30 Songs of the year. And this is actually the first time the Year-End countdown had 30 songs instead of 45. Though they still did 45 songs from earlier this year, but then back in the end of May this year, they made the countdown shorter and they had 30 songs. And just like every radio station at the end of every year, they counted down their Top 30 songs of the year based off of airplay. So now, I'm gonna go through their year end list and I'm going to show my opinions and thoughts on every song on this list. Now, every week since they now have 30 songs, I usually do a Top 30 Review at the end of each post (but not for the AT40). And for this Year-End list, I'm going to do it again just to make sure what grade Hits 1 had with music this year with one of those following areas:


Crap (0 Points)

Bad (1 Point)

Mediocre (2 Points)

Decent (3 Points)

Good (4 Points)

Great (5 Points)


It's very similar to a Top 20 Review which I've done back when the countdown had 45 songs, but it has 30 songs just to see how Hits 1 did with music this year. The total score will come out of 150, which I'm going to convert so that the score could be out of 100. They will also be coordinated with a different color for each rank. There will be some minor changes that way every rank should be in a different color. So here's the color-coding code for this list:


Red = Crap

Turquoise = Bad

Yellow = Mediocre

Pink = Decent

Blue = Good

Green = Great


Purple and orange will also be on this rank for the best song and worst song on this list, and dark blue and dark red will also be on this rank for my Top 5 and Bottom 5 picks. Now, let's get to this year-end list. Remember, the parenthetical number for each song means that this song has reached it's peak. Not every song that peaked in the Top 10 are on this list, but every song that peaked in the Top 5 are on this list. Now, we're ready to get into this year-end list. But before we get to the year-end list, here are last year's Top 5 songs.


5. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling

4. Jonas Brothers - Sucker

3. Halsey - Without Me

2. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It

1. The Chainsmokers/5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love


Now, here are the Top 30 Songs of 2020 according to Hits 1.


#30. Dan + Shay/Justin Bieber - 10,000 Hours (#9) [5; Great]

This is actually their second time making their appearance on the Year-End list (but not for Justin). I remember last year when Speechless has made this year-end list, and that was an awesome song for me. As far as the song goes, it's definitely an outstanding country-pop song. I've been hearing this song a lot on The Highway. For my opinion, the production here sounded outstanding, the vocals were absolutely amazing, Justin's vocals also sound amazing in his contribution, and the chorus sounded amazing. It did do so amazing on the Highway Hot 30 this year, so that's outstanding for me. Such an outstanding song.


#29. Justin Bieber/Quavo - Intentions (#11) [3; Decent]

Yes, this is actually a decent song. There's nothing really anything here that's interesting to say about this song. The production here sounded decent, though Justin's vocals sounded awesome here and the chorus is solid. Though I'm not really huge on Quavo's verse here, because I don't think he sounds good here. So yeah, overall it's decent. It did do so amazing on the AT40 as it spent 5 weeks at the top spot, which I'm okay with that. So yeah, decent song for me.


#28. Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep? (#12) [5; Great]

This was such an outstanding song and this was actually a step up from Dancing With A Stranger. At first when I started listening to this song, it wasn't as good as Dancing With A Stranger, but it actually grown on me a little bit more. Now, on to my opinion. The production in this one sounded so awesome, Sam's vocals were outstanding, and the chorus was definitely what I stand for. So yeah, it's definitely an outstanding song overall. I was actually surprised about this song being on this list.


#27. Benee/Gus Dapperton - Supalonely (#8) [5; Great]

This was one of the songs that actually came from TikTok, which I actually found very interesting. As far as the song goes, this is definitely an awesome song. Now, for my opinion, the production here was so fun, Benee's vocals were spectacular, Gus's vocals were awesome in his contribution, and the chorus was outstanding. I do know Gus had a song on Alt Nation called Post Humerous, and it has done so well on the Alt-18 this year, so that's great for me to see. So yeah, this is such an awesome song overall.


#26. Blackbear - Hot Girl Bummer (#4) [3; Decent]

Now, as you remembered, he had an extremely horrible song back in 2017 called Do Re Mi, and it was in my Bottom 3 Songs of the year. Though that song didn't actually make Hits 1 at that time, so that's great for me. And now, he is back and this is his first appearance on this year-end list. But this is actually a decent song. Though this song is actually way better than Do Re Mi, but still not that great. I'm not really huge on the production here, and his vocals were decent and the chorus was decent. But yeah, I feel like he sounds better in rock. It's such a decent song overall.


#25. Twenty One Pilots - Level Of Concern (#7) [5; Great]

This is another song that I've been hearing a lot on Alt Nation. This is absolutely an amazing song and it's definitely a step up from The Hype. Now, on to the song. The instrumentation and production both sound amazing, Tyler's vocals were remarkable, the lyrics are what I'm a fan of, and the chorus was absolutely amazing. It has done so well on the Alt-18, which was great. Definitely another amazing song for me to listen to.


#24. Jonas Brothers - What A Man Gotta Do (#2) [5; Great]

This was definitely another amazing song and this is definitely a step up from Only Human. Now, for my opinion, the upbeat vibe here is what I really enjoyed, the production in this one sounded outstanding, the vocals were amazing, the lyrics here were so interesting, and the chorus was definitely remarkable. Though too bad it didn't go to the top spot on there, but this is definitely an amazing song overall.


#23. Arizona Zervas - Roxanne (#9) [1; Bad]

I really don't have any idea what's going on with this song, but it's just not a good song for me. Now, for my opinion, the production and beat doesn't sound good, I don't really like how auto-tuned his vocals are, the lyrics aren't good, and the chorus was just boring. So yeah, I'm not a fan of this song. It's not awful, I do not hate it, I just don't like this song very much. Let's just move on.


#22. Ava Max - Kings & Queens (#2) [5; Great]

We finally have a song that's in my Top 10 Songs of the year that made this list. This song landed at #6 on my Top 10 Songs of the year like Sweet But Psycho did last year. That was actually 2 years in a row that she had a song that's in my Top 10 Songs of the year and it landed in the same place. She's such an extremely talented singer to me. As far as the song goes, it's pretty heavenly and it's on the same level as Sweet But Psycho. The production here was pretty heavenly, Ava's vocals were pretty heavenly, the lyrics were pretty heavenly, the chorus was pretty heavenly, everything on this song was pretty heavenly. Though it failed to be in the top spot just like Sweet But Psycho, which was not good for me. But this is a pretty heavenly song for me overall.


#21. JP Saxe/Julia Michaels - If The World Was Ending (#10) [5; Great]

At first when I started listening to it, I thought that it was decent. But then after a few more listens, the song has actually grown on me. This is definitely an awesome song. Now, on to the song. The piano in this one sounded awesome, JP Saxe's vocals were solid, Julia's vocals were amazing in her contribution, and that chorus sounded awesome. I'm glad to see this song making this list. Such an awesome song.


#20. Conan Gray - Maniac (#2) [5; Great]

This is actually his first appearance on there. Now, when I first gave this song a listen, I've realized that he's yet to be another talented singer. And now, here he is on there. This was definitely an amazing song and this is definitely a step up from Heather. The production here sounded amazing, Conan's vocals were phenomenal, those lyrics are definitely marvelous, and the chorus was amazing. And I remember this song kept going from #2 to #10 which was awkward. I wish this would've been his first #1 song on there, but unfortunately it didn't happen. But I'm so pleased about this song making this list. What a great start in his career.


#19. Alesso/Liam Payne - Midnight (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]

He has made his return on the year-end list. Although the last time he appeared on this year-end list was back in 2018 with Let Me Go, but it's actually Hailee Steinfeld's song, not his. But he is back on there. Now, as far as this song goes, it's such an amazing EDM song. For my opinion, the guitars here sounded amazing, the production was absolutely spectacular, Liam's vocals were absolutely amazing, the chorus was super fantastic, and the drop was so phenomenal. So yeah, this is amazing overall. I'm glad to see this song go this far on this list.


#18. Blackbear - Me & Ur Ghost (#2) [2; Mediocre]

Yes, this is definitely a mediocre song. Definitely not as good as Hot Girl Bummer, but it's still mediocre. I'm really not too fond on the vocals here, but the production here sounded solid and I think the chorus sounded okay. But I'm not really huge on the lyrics. So yeah, it's mediocre overall. Again he might as well just stick to rock instead of this type of music, because he actually sounds better in rock. He doesn't sound the best in the pop genre. But yeah, hopefully there's some more rock music from him next year.


#17. Halsey - Graveyard (#3) [5; Great]

Last year, this song was #41 on the year-end list. And now, here it is again. It has been doing better on the countdown this year than it did last year. As far as this song goes, it's definitely a heavenly song. This is definitely her best song off of the album. It's definitely a step up from Nightmare and You Should Be Sad. The production here sounded amazing, Halsey's vocals were heavenly, the lyrics were pretty amazing, and the chorus was heavenly. So yeah, overall it's such a heavenly song. I'm so pleased to see this song go this far on this list.


#16. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Old Me (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]

This is definitely another phenomenal song. Though this wasn't as good as Easier, but it is still phenomenal. The production in this one sounded so phenomenal, Luke's vocals were absolutely phenomenal, the lyrics here are phenomenal, the chorus was extremely phenomenal, everything on this song was phenomenal. So yeah, this is such a phenomenal song for me. I'm pleased to see this song getting this far on this list.


#15. Lizzo - Good As Hell (#3) [5; Great]

This song was actually released all the way back in 2016. I actually wish that this song would actually make Hits 1 at that time but instead it was on there last year. That was actually 3 years late that it actually made it on there. I was actually still in middle school when this song was released. But this was actually an amazing song and it's definitely way better than Truth Hurts. The production in this one sounded absolutely amazing, Lizzo's vocals were so much better than in her other songs, and that chorus was remarkable. So yeah, it's definitely another amazing song overall. I'm glad to see this song going that far on this list.


#14. Camila Cabello - My Oh My (#5) [5; Great]

Hits 1 edited out DaBaby's verse here, which was definitely great for me. Now, this is definitely an amazing song. Though not as good as Living Proof, but it's still amazing. The production in this one was amazing, Camila's vocals were heavenly, the lyrics are what I'm a fan of, and that chorus was heavenly. So yeah, it's definitely amazing without or with DaBaby overall. I'm so pleased that this song was managed to get this far from this list.


#13. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart (#2) [5; Great]

This is definitely by far her best song. It's definitely an amazing song and it's definitely a step up from Don't Start Now. As for my opinion, the production here sounded super amazing, Dua's vocals were so phenomenal, the lyrics are very well-written, and that chorus is what I really enjoyed and it's so heavenly. So yeah, this is such an amazing song for me to listen to. I'm so pleased to see this song making this far on this list.


#12. Ashe/Niall Horan - Moral Of The Story (#1, 6 Weeks) [5; Great]

This is her first time appearing on this year-end list. Now, I've actually been hearing the original version a lot on Alt Nation. And I've actually realized that she is yet to be another talented singer. Although the original version did not do so well on the countdown, but thanks to Niall for the remix, he helped the song do so much better on there. As far as the song goes, it's definitely amazing and it's on the same level as the original one. The production here sounded so amazing, Ashe's vocals were absolutely phenomenal, Niall's vocals sounded so amazing in his contribution, and the chorus is definitely what I fell in love with. So yeah, that was definitely a great start in her career and I'm pleased to see it go this far on this list.


#11. Niall Horan - No Judgement (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]

This is definitely another amazing song and it's definitely a step up from Put A Little Love On Me and Black And White, two songs in which are Hit Bound dropouts from this year. Now, on to the song. The production here is outstanding, Niall's vocals were absolutely amazing, the lyrics are definitely very nicely-written, and the chorus sounded so phenomenal. So yeah, this is yet to be another amazing song overall. I'm glad to see it go this far on this list.


#10. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Teeth (#1, 2 Weeks In 2019) [0; Crap]

Of course, they've actually been making a lot of amazing songs recently. But this song does not work for them. This is definitely a horrible song and it's easily their worst song ever. I was actually expecting to like this song because of them, but no! The production here sounded really bad, Luke's vocals sounded terrible, and my gosh that chorus was absolutely horrible. I really have no idea why this song was in the Top 10 on this list. This does not deserve to become a hit. NEXT!


#9. Jonas Brothers - Only Human (#1, 1 Week In 2019) [5; Great]

This was definitely an amazing song. It's definitely a step up from Cool, but definitely not as good as What A Man Gotta Do. But it is still an amazing song. Now, on to the song. The production here sounded remarkable, the vocals shine throughout the entire song, the lyrics were amazing, and the chorus sounded heavenly. I'm so glad to see this song be in the Top 10 on this list. Such an amazing song for me to listen to.


#8. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights (#1, 6 Weeks) [5; Great]

This was actually my #8 song of the year from which you've saw in my Top 10 Songs of the year post. Although this wasn't my favorite song from them. In The Night was actually my favorite from which you all remembered back in my 25,000 Pageview Special post from earlier last year when I counted down my Top 10 Songs of 2016. But this is still a heavenly song. Now, for my opinion, the production sounded heavenly, Abel's vocals were heavenly, the lyrics were heavenly, the chorus was heavenly, everything on this song was heavenly. I'm super pleased to see this song in the Top 10 here on this list.


#7. Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar (#1, 7 Weeks) [5; Great]

This was absolutely another amazing song. Now, I know this year has really been the biggest year in his career on music, because he had a lot of #1 songs on there. And this song was definitely one of them. Anyway. For my opinion, the production here sounded outstanding, Harry's vocals were absolutely remarkable, and the chorus was definitely amazing. So yeah, it's definitely another amazing song overall. This deserves to be in the Top 10 on there.


#6. Doja Cat - Say So (#3) [3; Decent]

This is definitely another decent song and this is her first appearance on this year-end list. There isn't really anything here that's interesting to say about this song. Though this is definitely a step up from Like That, but it's still decent. For my opinion, Doja's vocals were decent and the lyrics were okay. But the production and chorus here actually sounded pretty good. But yeah, overall it's another decent song. I'm okay with this song being almost in the Top 5 on this list. But it's still a great start in her career.


#5. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now (#2) [5; Great]

This was actually her return single. Now, I know it's been a while since we heard from her before this song. As far as this song goes, it's definitely amazing. Though definitely not as good as Break My Heart, but it's still amazing. The production here sounded amazing, Dua's vocals were absolutely amazing, and the chorus is definitely what I enjoyed. I'm glad that this song managed to be in the Top 5 on this list. What an amazing song.


#4. Lewis Capaldi - Before You Go (#1, 1 Week) [5; Great]

This is such an outstanding song and it's definitely a step up from Someone You Loved. And what I've noticed about this song is that I know it has hit #1 on the weekend countdown. But then it got more and more popular a few months after that happened, which was interesting. Now, for my opinion, the instrumentation and production in this one was remarkable, Lewis's vocals were absolutely amazing, the lyrics are what I'm a fan of, and the chorus sounded amazing. I'm super glad to see this song in the Top 5 on this list.


#3. Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya (#1, 8 Weeks) [5; Great]

This was absolutely another amazing song. Though definitely not as good as No Judgement, but it's still amazing. Now, as for my opinion, the production here sounded amazing, Niall's vocals shine throughout the entire song, the lyrics are what I'm a fan of, and that chorus was heavenly. I'm super glad to see this song be in the Top 3 on this list. This deserves to be in there because of how well it did on there.


#2. Post Malone - Circles (#1, 2 Weeks) [0; Crap]

Oh boy... here he is again. Gosh, he really has been such an awful singer. I've been hating his music ever since the start of his career. As for this song, it's definitely garbage. There's nothing here that's good to say about this song at all! The production here sounded really bad, Post's vocals sounded awful, and I'm not huge on the chorus. So yeah, I really had enough of hearing his music. At least this wasn't the top song of the year, so that's still good. But I really have no idea why this song was in the Top 3 on there.


#1. Harry Styles - Adore You (#1, 10 Weeks) [5; Great]

I'm super glad to see this song being the top song of the year. Out of all the #1 songs from him that we have this year, this song has got to be the biggest one. As far as this song goes, it's definitely amazing. The production here sounded phenomenal, Harry's vocals were absolutely amazing, the lyrics were remarkable, and the chorus was heavenly. So yeah, this deserves to be the top song of the year because this song has actually spent the most weeks at the top spot on the countdown this year. Congrats to him!


And there you have it. Those were my opinions on every song on this year-end list. Now, I'm going to do my Top 30 Review. I usually do a Top 30 Review at the end of each weekend countdown post, and this time, I'm going to do it again. So now, I'm going to be ranking the entire countdown based on the six ranks.


My Top 30 Review:

0 - Crap:

30. Post Malone - Circles

29. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Teeth


1 - Bad:

28. Arizona Zervas - Roxanne


2 - Mediocre:

27. Blackbear - Me & Ur Ghost


3 - Decent:

26. Blackbear - Hot Girl Bummer

25. Justin Bieber/Quavo - Intentions

24. Doja Cat - Say So


4 - Good:

None


5 - Great:

23. JP Saxe/Julia Michaels - If The World Was Ending

22. Benee/Gus Dapperton - Supalonely

21. Jonas Brothers - Only Human

20. Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep?

19. Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya

18. Lizzo - Good As Hell

17. Dan + Shay/Justin Bieber - 10,000 Hours

16. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now

15. Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar

14. Camila Cabello - My Oh My

13. Harry Styles - Adore You

12. Niall Horan - No Judgement

11. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Old Me

10. Lewis Capaldi - Before You Go

9. Twenty One Pilots - Level Of Concern

8. Alesso/Liam Payne - Midnight

7. Jonas Brothers - What A Man Gotta Do

6. Ashe/Niall Horan - Moral Of The Story

5. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart

4. Halsey - Graveyard

3. Conan Gray - Maniac

2. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights


6 - Best Song Of The Year:

1. Ava Max - Kings & Queens


Total Score: 128/150 = 85.3% (B) [Good]


And that's all I have to say about this post. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this post. Overall, Hits 1 had an 85.3% in music this year, which was good. Let's hope 2021 should be a better year with music. Once again, I hope you enjoyed reading this post. Hit me with your thoughts and any interesting facts that you have about this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiesto (2) Week Of April 1, 2023

Zedd (9) Week Of May 26, 2018

Fall Out Boy (3) Week Of June 3, 2023